Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Back from the Rooftop of the World... Almost

Now sitting in an internet cafe in Chengdu Shuangliu Airport, waiting for my flight back home at 8 pm... Long wait... Decided not to venture into Chengdu city after the plane from Lhasa touched-down at 12.30 pm... The sky is overcast, temperature is 7 degress celcius, drizzling, wet, cold... not the kind of weather to lug my 15 kg haversack and 8 kg camera bag around...

Shall just find some corner in the airport to while my time away...

Yeah!!! I've gone to the rooftop of the world... and back... the high altitude was demanding... thankfully, I only experienced mild Acute Mountain Sickness while I was there... Lhasa is 3650m, and it took me 2 nights before I could sleep well at night without waking up every 1-2 hours... but that acclimatisation process was disturbed when I ventured out to Gyantse (3950 m) and Shigatse (3900 m)... gosh... I had to sleep breathing through my mouth as I can't seem to breathe in enough of air at night... the result was super dry lips and dry throats... kind of reminded me of my trekking in Nepal...

Nevertheless, what's left of the traditional and mysterious Tibet is really amazingly awe-inspiring... I said what's left, because after China 'liberalised' Tibet from the 1960s onwards, much of the ancient Tibet has been mercilessly destroyed... A great pity and a crime to have detroyed such a great culture...

Anyway, shall elaborate more as I process the photos I took when I get home... Think I have shot over 1000 shots on this trip...

No comments: