Saturday, December 02, 2006

Closer to Heaven


In 7 hours' time, I'd be on the flight to Chengdu... and there on, will board the Qinghai-Tibet high altitude train into Lhasa, the rooftop of the world...

Weather forecasts predicts an average high of 10 degree celcius in the day, and low of -4 degree celcius at night... freezing... and I've been asked many times why on earth do I still want to go there in December? Why not June?

Cos' I don't want to procrastinate any longer... looking at my workload, it'll be a blessing if I could even go for a trip at year-end next year...

Tibet is the kind of place where the environment is so harsh that I better get there while I still have the motivation and physical tolerance... and even then, I'm prepared to be hit with some Acute Mountain Sickness, diarrhea, nausea, headache etc... with an average altitude of 3900 m plus cold and dry climate, I hope I've done enough preparation and preventive measures to reduce any physical discomfort...

Checklist:
- goose feather jacket (bought it in 2000 for NZ trip but didn't use much since)
- goretex water and wind-proof jacket
- fleece jacket x 2
- woolen jacket
- long sleeves shirts x 3
- chemical heat pack x 10
- fleece gloves
- woolen gloves
- Acute Mountain Sickness pills
- cold pills
- diarrhea pills
- pain-killers

But all these discomforts aside, I'm really looking forward to the amazing terrain and impossible beauty of the Himalayan Range... And I'm also looking forward to the spiritual journey as well... to redeem myself of all the bad karmas I've accumulated in my lifetime...

I'm a bit more wary this time round, as compared to my other trips to the more cosmopolitan cities... got more things to watch out over and not let my guards down at all times...

Okie... all's set... haversack's packed... time to begin a journey that I've been looking forward to for so many years... Look out for this space for the photos of Tibet... : )

No comments: