Sunday, December 24, 2006

Pachelbel's Canon in D


Ahh... Pachelbel... baroque era's one-hit wonder... Canon in D...

Grossly overplayed at weddings, advertisements, lullabies, self-help stress-relieve CDs, building pipe-in music, etc etc etc...

Anything in overdose just brings the puke out of a person...

The first time I heard this tune was during my college Guitar Ensemble days... my conductor walked in one day, bringing us a new piece of music to play... we had 3 sections in the guitar ensemble, guitar 1 plays the melodies, guitar 2 plays the supporting sub-melodies, and guitar 3 plays the accompaniment and bass...

I remembered we were all quite amused when all three sections of us received the same score... we couldn't quite believe that the everyone of us were to play the same tune...

But Mr A (my conductor) explained that the trick behind this Pachelbel's music is to stagger the starting time of each section... i.e. guitar 2 will start 2 bars after guitar 1, and guitar 3 will start another 2 bars behind guitar 2...

The magic and genius of Pachelbel henceforth unveils... the overlap due to the delay in the start gives this piece of music the full body and crescendo and grandeur... pretty amazing...

I used to like to play this piece of music a lot on the guitar... just the melody of course... but as I grew older, and the piece gaining popularity... over time, it begins to eat into me...

Almost like too much saccharine will cause diabetes... yuuucks!!!

2 comments:

twenty28eight said...

Who's this guy? He's hilarious!!!

Master Choco In Dry Ice said...

Dunno his background leh... All I know is that he has echoed my thoughts better than I do ;)