Saturday, August 11, 2007

Retail Therapy - Men's Poison...

Felt like rewarding myself for working hard making a living... Went out on a retail therapy trip today... And burnt some cash on a couple of items...


Finally, after many years of making do with a cheap and serve-its-purpose SLIK tripod, I bit the bullet and went ahead with a set of Manfrotto tripod and ballhead... Long-term investment, I tell myself...

Will it make me a better photographer?

Nahhh... I doubt so...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's a few other items that's calling out for me, urging me to own them... in no order of priority (I'd love to have all of them if cash is of no concern), these are:

1) The iPhone

Won't arrive on S'pore shores till next year...

Would it make me a more organised and well connected and cool person?

Nahhh... I doubt so...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) The Canon EOS 1D MKIII


The ultimate body that I could dream of owning at present...

Would it make me a better photographer?

Nahhh... I doubt so...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3) The Taylor GA 8 or Martin D28




Would these make me a better guitarist?

Nahhh... I doubt so...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4) The MINI Cooper


My dream car...

Would it make me a better driver?

Nahhh... I doubt so...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5) The new iMac


My dream machine to organise and edit my digital photos...

Would it make me a more organised person and a better photographer?

Nahhh... I doubt so too...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a whole load of paradoxes... For the many WANTS of a man basically doesn't necessary make him better off... Well, maybe not directly anyway...

All the above items don't seem to give me any further edge in what I could possibly do... Probably more convenient... Probably they merely make me feel that I'm much better than I actually am...

But even so, if there's really such a thing as a self-actualising prophecy, then there's no harm in owning them and thinking that I'm better off and then in turn really perform in a better off fashion...

What a whole load of self-justifying expensive crap ;)

3 comments:

Rui said...

iPhone is not exactly worth investing on. It has a built-in battery (can't change it for Hell's sake), 4GB built-in memory and not expandable. These two reasons are reason enough not to invest on an iPhone.

the new iMac, on the other hand, is a much better investment for a photographer. It's one of those things that I've been saving up pennies for. The colours are good, screen resolutions are awesome, make for a great platform for photo editing. Only downside is you can't play a lot of major game titles... not unless you play them on BootCamp.

twenty28eight said...

Your wants are super EX, leh! ;)

of all but none of cliche errors. said...

mr wong, who ever knows, perhaps your wants might actually make you a BETTER person? you never know till you try, yet, the thing i agree is, if cash is of no concern. good guitar though. =] better for fast songs though. =] and mr wong.. stop sounding so emo. hahahha. one day. you'll be able to afford all this. =] loves!