Saturday, September 29, 2007

Run for your LIFE...


April 2007 - Mizuno Mt Faber 10 km Run

July 2007- Saucony 10 km Run (East Coast)

August 2007 - Singapore Bay 12 km Run

October 2007 - New Balance 15 km Real Run (Changi Airport)

Never in my life had I believed that I could complete such distances in running... Let alone doing 4 such runs in a year...

Even during the phase in my life when I was fittest (NS days and Uni days), the max I ran were 5 km... I've always felt that running is a very boring and time consuming activity... You are left on your own (mentally at least), and it's mind over body after a certain distance...

But as I age (gracefully, mind you), somehow, that mental toughness grew and compensated for my fast diminishing fitness... I now know that as long as I run at a moderately comfortable pace, I can just go on and on, notwithstanding the usual tightness of thigh and calf muscles and knee pains... On such runs now, I often find myself being able to talk to myself and process thoughts as I run and I realised time passes pretty easily and my mind won't be preoccupied with feeling tired or thoughts of stopping and giving up the run...

On my own, I also realised that I don't usually have the motivation to complete long distances... I've tried running from my place near the AMK MRT down to Bishan Park, make a complete loop round both of the Bishan Parks, then run back home... But that's about the furtherest I'd go and that's merely 8 km thereabout...

But on such mass races, the act of running with thousands of strangers, and knowing that I won't be the last, somehow spur me on and make me just keep going and going and going... Initially, I kind of feel lousy when the super fit female competitors speed pass me... But now, I respect and acknowledge them as capable competitors, and I also now learnt to take it in my stride and enjoy admiring their super well-toned legs as well... And talking about legs, I believe I've seen enough well-toned legs, males and females alike, from such races that I can quite confidently differentiate long distance runners from all other wannabes... I'd like to believe that I used to have a pair of such legs when I was at the prime of my fiteness, but now, I can only admire others and aspire quietly to maintain a fit and healthy pair of legs myself...

The last race for this year for me would be the New Balance Real Run... 15 km over road and some sandy beach... A distance I've never conquered... And for the first time, I'm a bit more worried about my fitness and condition in completing this race... It's a personal challange... Completetion would be an achievement for me... Timing is secondary for me, as with all other races... I've never been a competitive person all my life anyway... I've always thought that there's simply too many rat races all over, but the thing is, I'm NOT A RAT! Simply can't be bothered about any perceived competitions anywhere...

Life is to be enjoyed and lived meaningfully... Life is Beautiful enough to live it to the fullest... And on long races, I envision myself to be running on my Life journey... Every step towards the destination, is always one step nearer... And even upon reaching the destination, Life still goes on, another destination awaits, loved ones await as well... And that's the wonder in Life... overcoming oneself, sharing life with loved ones meaninfully and peacefully...

No comments: